We are extremely lucky at Outfit Moray as we have an amazing team of enthusiastic volunteers, in fact we’d struggle without them.
All our volunteers are passionate about the outdoors and enjoy working with young people.
We offer volunteers:
- Training and support with NGB (National Governing Body Award) Qualifications when and where appropriate.
- Additional training in supplementary areas necessary to deliver outdoor activities to young people e.g. Health and Safety, Leading Skills, Working with Young People, Child Protection and First Aid.
- Opportunities to gain valuable experience working with groups, assisting and leading when appropriate.
- Access to discounted equipment and equipment allowance.
In return we ask that
- Volunteers have experience in outdoor activities and must be enthusiastic about working out of doors with young people.
- Ideally, volunteers should also have experience in working with young people.
- For each day attending a training course we ask for one day in return, either assisting or leading a group.
Some comments from the team:
I have been volunteering with Outfit Moray since Spring 2007. When I started volunteering with Outfit, I was working as a gardener and was looking to do something new. I had heard about the volunteer project and thought it would be an excellent opportunity to try something different.
Outfit has been a life changing encounter for me. I now run my own surf school, and this is thanks to the experience, training and support I have received from the whole Outfit team. Everyone has been a great help, giving me advice and knowledge on tap.
During my time volunteering with Outfit I have been involved with most of the activities they have on offer. I have received training in these activities which has been really fun and useful when out with groups.
I enjoy working with Outfit and hope to continue for some time.
All in all I think Outfit is a fantastically superb charity and I am glad to be a part of it!
“I joined Outfit for many reasons really. I have a passion for the outdoors and enjoy activities like cycling, hill walking, canoeing and climbing. I really enjoy working with groups, especially young adults, and as a lot of my time at work is office-based, volunteering with Outfit gives me the opportunity to get out and do fun stuff!
Likes: hot soup at the top of mountains, watching movies in bed, doing north-shore, swimming under water, planting trees and eating food..did I mention food already?
Dislikes: going into a toilet with no toilet roll, meeting impolite drivers, jigsaws with missing pieces, being sick or late (not in that order), hunting for sport, cycling into a headwind in heavy rain.”
“I moved to Scotland in 2005 after working in industry in Nottingham for 12 years, and I wanted to do something different with my life. Volunteering with Outfit allows me to gain hands-on experience of working in the outdoors with a huge variety of young people with different needs, and to see the positive difference that Outfit makes to their lives. The volunteer scheme gives me high quality training, development and support, and is a fantastic way to gain new skills and feel that I am doing something valuable.
Likes: anything orange, evening light, snowball fights, laughing, & the sound of the sea.
Dislikes: being cold, grumpy people, and losing things.”
Caroline has been an Outfit volunteer since Spring 2007. She works part time at Outfit doing evaluation and admin, & part time at Elgin Youth Cafe, dealing with the day-to-day running of the Cafe.